Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fantasy Basketball 2013 - My Team

My fantasy basketball league (money league, 12 team, standard roto) drafted last night, and I'm pretty happy with my roster, even though I got stuck with the #8 overall pick. If anything, I could probably use a few more 3-pointers, but they shouldn't be hard to come by once the season gets underway. Players like Ray Allen, Nate Robinson and Randy Foye went undrafted, so that is the one area I think I can patch up fairly easily in-season.

In any case, this is what my team looks like:

G - Deron Williams, BKN
G - Rajon Rondo, BOS
G - Isaiah Thomas, SAC
G - Tyreke Evans, NO
F - Kevin Love, MIN
F - David Lee, GS
F - Paul Pierce, BKN
F - Maurice Harkless, ORL
C - Joakim Noah, CHI
UT - Tyson Chandler, NY
Bench - Derrick Williams, MIN
Bench - Ramon Sessions, CHA
Bench - Omer Asik, HOU


I drafted pretty rebound-heavy early on, because that was my downfall last season. Even though the forward position is a bit deeper this year, rebounds is one of the most competitive categories in roto-league basketball, and finding big men who won't hurt your FT% can be difficult. Yet, the worst of my starting big men (Tyson Chandler) shot 69% at the line last season, which is pretty good for a center. So I should do pretty well in that regard.

With that being said, I currently have a waiver-claim in on Andrew Bynum. I only have the #5 claim (out of 12), so I may not land him, but I was surprised he went undrafted. Granted, he's bad news when it comes to injuries, but I figure he's got to get out there on the court eventually, and once he does, I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for taking Asik instead. Then again, Bynum really screwed me over last season because I took him in the 2nd round, so I am somewhat hesitant to go down that road again. But it's one thing to take him in the 2nd round, and another thing entirely to use him as free agent insurance off the bench. So hopefully, I'll be able to land him. Even if I don't I'll probably end up signing someone like Nate Robinson instead. Don't get me wrong, Asik is a good rebounder, but I'm not very high on him this year, especially with Dwight Howard in town, and I only see his already sketchy production dropping this season. But I was forced to take him in the last round due to draft regulations. I actually tried taking Nate Robinson, but was denied due to roster limitations (funny thing is, there is no limit for bench players once the season gets started. You can carry three guards, three forwards, three centers, or any combination thereof. You just have to draft guard/forward/center, which is kind of lame. But whatever. I'll make do).

As for my players -- I really wanted either Kyrie Irving or Paul George with my 1st round pick, but they both came off the board right before I picked. So I had to settle for Kevin Love (poor me), which actually worked out pretty well, because Deron Williams dropped to me in the 2nd round, so I didn't go too guard-heavy early on (which can be a problem for a lot of teams). And, even though I'm a Lakers' fan, you may have noticed I ended up taking Rondo over Kobe, because I feel like he's not only further along in the recovery process, but is still in the prime of his career, whereas Kobe is definitely on the decline. And I'm not quite as confident as everyone else seems to be about his achilles injury. Granted, Kobe is superhuman, but I think a lot of people are underestimating just how serious his injury is, especially at this stage in his career. Do I doubt Kobe will play this season? Not at all. I just happen to think Rondo will play a little bit better for fantasy purposes. And granted, having Rondo on my team makes me somewhat leery of claiming Bynum, because having two injured players on your roster to start the season can be pretty restrictive, but it's not nearly so big of a deal in a roto league as it is in a h2h. So hopefully it will work out. But overall, I'm pretty happy with the way the draft worked out.

Recap to come.


+CBS Sports Fantasy News
+NBA

No comments:

Post a Comment