Monday, September 30, 2013

Fantasy Hockey 2013 - My Team

After my league's initial draft malfunctioned, CBS awarded us with free comp teams and we drafted again last night. Luckily, there weren't any glitches this time around, so we finally have a legitimate league. And, to be honest, I like my new team even better than my old one. I may not have landed two or three first-rounders in a row, but I do feel like my squad is fairly well balanced. Yet again, I was stuck with the seventh overall pick in a 12-team roto league, just like last time, but this time around, I feel like I'd honed my strategy.

C - John Tavares, NYI
C - Jason Spezza, OTT
C - David Krejci, BOS
W - Corey Perry, ANA
W - Rick Nash, NYR
W - Marian Hossa, CHI
D - Dion Phaneuf, TOR
D - Christian Ehrhoff, BUF
D - Andrei Markov, MON
D - Paul Martin, PIT
G - Roberto Luongo, VAN
G - Mike Smith, PHO
Bench - James Reimer, TOR
Bench - Jiri Tlusty, CAR
Bench - Brandon Saad, CHI
Bench - Seth Jones, NSH

As you can see, I drafted much more Wing-heavy, rather than Center-heavy, because the CBS draft app only allows you to draft 3 Centers overall. Once the draft is over, you can claim and carry as many Centers as you want, but you can only draft 3 of them. And that screwed me over last time, when I was forced to take a player like Vladimir Tarasenko over Derek Stepan, having already hit my quota on Centers. So this time, I held off on taking a 3rd Center until I felt it was absolutely necessary. And, unfortunately for me, Stepan actually got snatched up fairly early (he went undrafted in our last glitch-draft), so I had to settle for David Krejci instead.

Clearly, my forwards are my strength. Not only are they all good scorers and playmakers in their own right, but they all play for fairly good teams as well, which should work wonders for my +/-. The only sketchy call I feel I made was in taking Corey Perry over Claude Giroux in the 2nd round. And although Giroux is the better player, Perry will almost single-handidly win the PIM category for me, whereas Giroux undoubtedly would not have. Plus, I'd already drafted Giroux in my last glitch-league, which, unfortunately, seemed to influence my strategy this time around (which is a big reason why I only like to draft 1 big money-league team per year. I used to draft 50 teams per season, but I found that it becomes pointless when every single player in the league is on one of your teams. It's much better, and easier, IMO, to keep track of 16 players rather than 60).

But in any case, I'm happy with my team and thankful to CBS for righting the situation. Granted, my glitch-league is still in business, and I do like my chances at winning it, but from here on out, when I refer to "my team", this is the team I'll be talking about. So stay tuned for the draft recap.


+CBSSports.com
+NHL 

No comments:

Post a Comment