Monday, November 5, 2012

Fantasy Football 2012 - My Team

Since I started this blog late in the fantasy football season, I didn't get a chance to do a draft recap. But, here's my team:

QB - Peyton Manning, DEN
RB - LeSean McCoy, PHI
RB - Adrian Peterson, MIN
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, ARI
WR - Dwayne Bowe, KC
UT - Shonn Greene, NYJ
TE - Tony Gonzalez, ATL
K - Justin Tucker, BAL
DST - Chargers

Bench
QB - Matt Schaub, HOU
WR - Anquan Boldin, BAL
WR - Titus Young, DET
WR - Greg Jennings, GB
DST - Patriots

As you can imagine, I haven't done too bad. I'm currently in 1st place in my division, and it looks like I just won this week's contest as well.

I had the 3rd overall pick in the draft this season, and I took LeSean McCoy. Foster & Rice went off the board #1 and #2, so I had a fairly easy time making my decision. I considered taking Aaron Rodgers for about a second, but I NEVER draft QBs in the 1st round (that's a strategy I stick to religiously) so he really wasn't an option for me. It's not that I don't like Rodgers, but QBs are much easier to come by in the later rounds than RBs, and if you squander your early picks, there won't be any RBs left by the time you're ready to take one.

I made one trade before the season started; Miles Austin for Shonn Greene. Austin is definitely a more reliable player, on a better team, but I needed a backup RB, and was worried Austin's injury history (I had too many potential injury risks on my roster), so I felt it to be a fair trade. And, prior to this week (9), they had put up near identical numbers (Austin: 10.4, per game -- Greene: 10.5).

With that being said, I was really worried about injuries going into the season, and still am to a certain extent. Clearly, AP was a sketchy proposition coming in, and Peyton was even sketchier. But, they've held up so far (knock on wood), and have been back to their old selves, playing like 1st round picks. So, this risk has certainly paid off.

On the other hand, my receiving corps has been pretty weak. I expected as much from Bowe, given the QB situation in KC, but I really thought Fitzgerald's freakish abilities would transcend the poor play of his QB in ARI. He's been decent enough, but 7.3 ppg isn't quite what we've come to expect from him over the years.

Greg Jennings was my most recent acquisition. He's been out since Week 4, but he recently had surgery and is expected back in a couple weeks. So, I figured I'd stash him away on my bench for the playoffs, and he might be a pleasant surprise.

This coming week will be rough for me, because Fitzgerald will be on a bye. I'll have to start a combination of Bowe, Boldin & Young, which is far from ideal, but adequate. The top 5 WRs in the FA pool are Golden Tate (SEA), Kevin Ogletree (DAL), Donnie Avery (IND), Brandon LaFell (CAR) and Andrew Hawkins (CIN). None of those guys are really all that better than what I've got, so I'll probably stand pat... for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment