Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fantasy Baseball 2013 - Blockbuster Trade

As I've mentioned before, my team is stacked on offense, to the detriment of my pitching. For the last 3 weeks, I've tried to swing a trade for some pitching but have come up short each time. 

The first bat I put on the trading block was Chris Davis (BAL), hoping to cash in on his hot start. But I wasn't too surprised when I didn't get any bites. I'm in a fairly savvy league, and my rival owners knew not to overpay for a hot start (although, it should be said, I think Davis is the real deal). 

I was surprised the following week, however, when I put David Wright (NYM) on the block and failed to get any takers. Matt Cain was the best offer I received. And even though I do have faith that he'll turn it around, I wasn't exactly looking for a slumping, mid-round pitcher with a low k-rate. Because I've drafted David Wright in the past and have never had a problem trading him. He's always been a hot name at a thin position. And, he's off to a hot start no less. I tried to get Yu Darvish (TEX) for him, but was denied. Then I asked for Madison Bumgarner (SF) and was denied. I even got the rejected for Chris Sale (CWS) right after he got pounded. So, I didn't know what to think. 

But I still needed pitching, especially given Gio Gonzalez's latest disaster of a start. So, I finally brought out the big guns and put Joey Votto (CIN), my 1st round pick (#7) overall, on the block and waited for the offers to roll in. And roll in they did. Apparently, whatever shine David Wright was lacking, Joey Votto had. Because, I got about 5 offers before he'd even been on the block for half an hour. 

I was offered Darvish straight up, but I don't see him as a top 10 pick, so I declined (granted, he very well may be next season, but there were too many question marks for me). I was also offered Felix Hernandez (SEA), a deal centered around Max Scherzer (DET), and a deal involving David Price (TB). And that's the one I latched on to. 

I declined the initial offer (Price & Carlos Villanueva, CHC, for Votto), and sent a counter of Votto & Anibal Sanchez (DET) for Price and Jeff Samardzija (CHC), which was accepted. So, I ended up with two power pitchers instead of one, and sold high on Sanchez (who can't possibly keep up his hot streak for long, especially considering how many hits he's been giving up). 

Sure, I'm not entirely confident the league will uphold the trade, but I already cut Travis Wood (CHC) for Brandon Moss (OAK) to fill Votto's vacated roster spot. So (assuming the trade goes through), my roster will now be much more balanced. 

C - Yadier Molina, STL 
C - Russell Martin, PIT 
1B - Chris Davis, BAL 
2B - Brandon Phillips, CIN 
3B - David Wright, NYM 
SS - Erick Aybar, LAA 
MI - Andrelton Simmons, ATL 
CI - Chase Headley, SD 
OF - Giancarlo Stanton, MIA 
OF - Justin Upton, ATL 
OF - Michael Bourn, CLE 
OF - Austin Jackson, DET 
OF - Nelson Cruz, TEX 
UT - Brandon Moss, OAK 
P - David Price, TB 
P - Gio Gonzalez, WSH 
P - Johnny Cueto, CIN 
P - Jeff Samardzija, CHC 
P - Yovani Gallardo, MIL
P - Lance Lynn, STL 
P - Wade Miley, ARI 
P - Brandon League, LAD
P - Edward Mujica, STL 
Bench - Kyle Lohse, MIL
Bench - Phil Hughes, NYY 
Bench - Wandy Rodriguez, PIT 
Bench - Jose Fernandez, MIA 
Bench - Shaun Marcum, NYM 
Bench - Dan Straily, OAK 

+MLB 

No comments:

Post a Comment