Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fantasy Baseball 2013 - Recent Moves

With the first week of the season in the books, my team has started off strong. I'm currently sitting in 1st place and have made a number of waiver wire moves already. This is my team as currently constituted:

C - Yadier Molina, STL
C - Tyler Flowers, CWS
1B - Joey Votto, CIN
2B - Brandon Phillips, CIN
3B - David Wright, NYM
SS - Erick Aybar, LAA
CI - Chris Davis, BAL
MI - Andrelton Simmons, ATL
OF - Giancarlo Stanton, MIA
OF - Justin Upton, ATL
OF - Michael Bourn, CLE
OF - Austin Jackson, DET
OF - Nelson Cruz, TEX
UT - Lance Berkman, TEX
P - Gio Gonzalez, WSH
P - Johnny Cueto, CIN
P - Yovani Gallardo, MIL
P - Brandon Morrow, TOR
P - Anibal Sanchez, DET
P - Jose Fernandez, MIA
P - Joel Hanrahan, BOS
P - Brandon League, LAD
P - Joaquin Benoit, DET
Bench - Chase Headley, SD
Bench - Kyle Lohse, MIL
Bench - Lance Lynn, STL
Bench - Wade Miley, ARI
Bench - Jose Valverde, DET
Bench - Kenley Jansen, LAD

-Moves I've made:
1. Added Tyler Flowers (CWS) for JP Arencibia (TOR).
In truth, I think these two will put up pretty similar numbers, but I now rate Flowers just a little bit higher. He has huge power and could potentially hit for a better average than Arencibia. So, why not take a shot on an unknown? The Chisox obviously thought he was good enough to replace AJ Pierzynski, so I'm rolling with him.

2. Added Jose Fernandez (MIA) for Jackie Bradley (BOS).
I like Bradley, and he's off to a decent start, but Fernandez's potential is off the charts. Plus, ace pitchers are far more valuable than hot hitters. Unless Jackie Bradley turns into the next Mike Trout, I highly doubt his value will exceed Fernandez's in fantasy. Plus, my OF is already stacked, and Bradley was destined to ride the pine for the foreseeable future, whereas I immediately plugged Fernandez into my rotation.

3. Added Jose Valverde (DET) for Aaron Hicks (MIN).
Hicks was a crapshoot. He had a torrid spring, posting huge numbers and even hitting three HRs in one game. But that production hasn't carried over into the regular season, unfortunately. He's 1 for 22 to start the season, so I'm ready to fold. And mind you, I pulled off this move BEFORE Valverde was re-signed by the Tigers. I kept hearing rumors out of Scott Boras' camp that Valverde would sign soon, and I needed another closer (or two), so figured I'd take a chance.

4. Added Joaquin Benoit (DET) for Manny Machado (BAL).
This is clearly a stupid move on face value. Why drop a future star in the making for a backup closer/setup man? Because I wanted to shore up Detroit's closer situation. And mostly because I don't want to get screwed on Valverde. Tigers' manager, Jim Leyland, just said yesterday that he's pulling for Benoit to claim the closers' role, so I'm going to hang on to both and see who will emerge as the #1. My money's on Valverde, of course, but again, I need the saves, and I want to cover my losses. Plus, Machado was a luxury for me. I already have David Wright at 3B, and Chris Davis at MI, plus Chase Headley sitting on my bench. So, really, I couldn't see a place for Machado, unless my guys go down with injuries (knock on wood). Could I have traded him? Probably. But not in time for the next scoring period (our league uses weekly rosters). So, I picked up Benoit (who had recently been dropped after the signing of Valverde was announced) and plugged him into my lineup.


--Players I'm watching:
1. Omar Infante, 2B - DET
I've got my eyes on Infante in case Andrelton Simmons' thumb injury turns out to be more serious than first thought. I like him better than the other MI options available in my free agent pool: i.e. Daniel Murphy, Zack Cozart and Mark Ellis.

2. Ubaldo Jimenez, SP - CLE
If he pitches well this week, I might just take a chance on him. I was encouraged by his first start, and in particular the lack of walks, but I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach. Justin Masterson is another question mark, but he put more men on base in his first start than I would've liked.

3. Kelvin Herrera, RP - KC
This guy is a future stud in the making, and if Greg Holland blows another save, Herrera is the go-to-guy. Do I expect Holland to implode? Not particularly. But if he does, this is guy you want.


+MLB

No comments:

Post a Comment