Friday, May 17, 2013

Fantasy Baseball 2013 - Recent Moves

I was tinkering with my team yet again this morning, and ended up making two bold moves (one much more so than the other). Some people are much more conservative with their rosters than I am and don't like to gamble. But, since I've currently taken a dive in the standings, from 1st to 6th over the course of about 2 weeks or so, I've been looking for a spark.

And granted, if you're in a points or h2h league, then you definitely should not make moves like this. But in roto leagues, the long-term is far more important than the short. Stats are compiled over the course of a season, rather than reset from week to week. So, with that in mind, let's take a look at my first move:

-I dropped Russell Martin (C - PIT) for Yasmani Grandal (C - SD).
My league uses 2 catchers, and Martin is obviously my #2. He's been playing pretty well so far this season, but I highly doubt he'll be able to keep it up. Throughout an entire season, his average projects closer to .240 than the .275 he's hitting right now. And although he does have pretty good power, he's a perennial injury risk, and is bound to make at least a trip or two to the DL this season. Grandal, on the other hand, will return to the Padres' lineup on May 28th after serving a 50 game steroid suspension. Steroid usage aside, the guy is a top prospect who hit extremely well in his limited time in the majors last season. And while it's possible the synthetic testosterone he was using may have contributed to his homerun totals, it wouldn't have had any affect on his hand-eye coordination whatsoever. So, I think his bat is for real. And, I'm also pretty sure that from May 28th on, Grandal will post better numbers than Martin (much better numbers at that). So even if I have to take a week's worth of goose eggs from my 2nd catcher slot before Grandal gets back, it's still well worth it. Because, I would imagine that in a month or two, the idea of trading Russell Martin for Yasmani Grandal will sound ludicrous.

-I dropped Hector Santiago (SP - CWS) for Adam Eaton (OF - ARI).
This move isn't quite as crazy, as Santiago is a question mark at this point. Will he stay in the rotation after John Danks (SP - CWS) returns? Will he be able to maintain his high-k throughout a whole season as a starter? Will he get blown up once more batters see his stuff? I happen to think he'll be pretty good. Not quite Chris Sale (SP - CWS) good, but good nonetheless. So, I went back and forth for a while as to whether I should drop Santiago or AJ Griffin (SP - OAK). But, I figured Santiago was available as a free agent when I picked him up, whereas I had to claim Griffin off waivers. So, if nothing else, Griffin's value is a little bit higher. But, in any case, adding Eaton was a no-brainer. I had been rostering Juan Pierre (OF - MIA) up until this week (he's only stolen 3 bases since I added him, but he did hit his annual HR last night. So, I got credit for that, at least). And Eaton is a far superior option to him. I'm guessing he'll steal anywhere from between 25 to 35 bases, hit about 10 HRs with a .280 - .290 average, which is much closer to Michael Bourn (OF - CLE) than Juan Pierre. The only problem is I now have to plug Yovani Gallardo (SP - MIL) back into my starting lineup, and he's been killing my WHIP. But I just couldn't pass up the value on Eaton. And I knew if I waited a day longer, he'd be gone. So it was now or never.


My current roster:

C - Yadier Molina, STL
C - Yasmani Grandal, SD
1B - Adam LaRoche, WSH
2B - Brandon Phillips, CIN
3B - David Wright, NYM
SS - Andrelton Simmons, ATL
MI - JJ Hardy, BAL
CI - Chase Headley, SD
OF - Justin Upton, ATL
OF - Chris Davis, BAL
OF - Michael Bourn, CLE
OF - Nelson Cruz, TEX
OF - Josh Willingham, MIN
UT - Nolan Arenado, COL
P - Gio Gonzalez, WSH
P - Johnny Cueto, CIN
P - Jeff Samardzija, CHC
P - Lance Lynn, STL
P - Yovani Gallardo, MIL
P - AJ Griffin, OAK
P - Francisco Liriano, PIT
P - Edward Mujica, STL
P - Kevin Gregg, CHC
Bench - Giancarlo Stanton, MIA
Bench - Austin Jackson, DET
Bench - Adam Eaton, ARI
Bench - David Price, TB
Bench - Michael Pineda, NYY
Bench - David Hernandez, ARI


My watch list:
1. Hector Santiago, SP - CWS
2. Kyle Lohse, SP - MIL
3. Wade Miley, SP - ARI
4. Jonathon Niese, SP - NYM
5. Neil Walker, 2B - PIT
6. Brett Anderson, SP - OAK
7. Scott Kazmir, SP - CLE
8. Erick Aybar, SS - LAA
9. Russell Martin, C - PIT
10. Juan Pierre, OF - MIA
11. Joel Peralta, RP - TB
12. Gerrit Cole, SP - PIT
13. Oscar Taveras, OF - STL
14. Kendrys Morales, 1B - SEA
15. Jon Jay, OF - STL
16. Andy Pettitte, SP - NYY
17. Chris Tillman, SP - BAL
18. Emilio Bonifacio, 2B - TOR
19. Kevin Youkilis, 3B - NYY
20. Jose Quintana, SP - CWS
21. Chris Carter, 1B - HOU
22. Mike Moustakas, 3B - KC
23. Leonys Martin, OF - TEX
24. Chris Archer, SP - TB
25. Ubaldo Jimenez, SP - CLE
26. Trevor Plouffe, 3B - MIN
27. Christian Yelich, OF - MIA
28. Brandon Crawford, SS - SF
29. Ross Detwiler, SP - WSH
30. Jurickson Profar, 2B - TEX
31. Justin Ruggiano, OF - MIA
32. Michael Brantley, OF - CLE
33. Jason Hammel, SP - BAL
34. Adam Dunn, 1B - CWS
35. Daniel Murphy, 2B - NYM
36. Rajai Davis, OF - TOR
37. Tyler Skaggs, SP - ARI
38. Jarrod Dyson, OF - KC
39. Ryan Vogelsong, SP - SF
40. Billy Hamilton, SS - CIN
41. Drew Stubbs, OF - CLE
42. Stephen Drew, SS - BOS
43. Aaron Hicks, OF - MIN
44. Jake Odorizzi, SP - TB
45. Chris Young, OF - OAK
46. Alex Rodriguez, 3B - NYY
47. Danny Hultzen, SP - SEA
48. Carlos Villanueva, SP - CHC
49. Miguel Sano, 3B - MIN
50. Eric Young Jr., OF - COL

+MLB

No comments:

Post a Comment